In recent years, the demand for more effective management of laboratory processes has increased. As effective data management became the driving force of efficiency in any workflow, research-intensive as well as diagnostic healthcare laboratories adopted laboratory information management software (LIMS). Managing vast amounts of data, LIMS is a platform that collects, processes, and stores laboratory-generated information. While initially used for the automation of experimental data, LIMS has now evolved into the digital hub of laboratory activities
In 2020, 77% of companies from research-intensive industries have an actively-deployed laboratory information management system (LIMS) in their laboratories. Of these companies, 54% had an implementation team that conducted workflow analysis prior to choosing a LIMS solution (Astrix, 2020). In this guide is a list of the best LIMS software to help you choose which among the solutions available in the market today can help you efficiently manage laboratory work processes and resources.
The following list of the best LIMS software provides an overview of the unique product features, the additional solutions provided by each software that expand functionalities, as well as the specific industries for which each software is designed.
Best LIMS Software Table of Contents
- Key LIMS software statistics
- Why LIMS software is important?
- Choosing the right LIMS software for your team
- List of the best LIMS software for 2022
Key LIMS Software Statistics
Gone are the days when laboratories are only expected to produce test results. With the tools that laboratories have today, they are equipped to provide data that can facilitate strategies for laboratory data management, as well as explore new research opportunities. For 55% of laboratories, the primary purpose of adopting a LIMS is for sample management while 41% use LIMS for regulatory compliance and, surprisingly, only 33% use it for workflow automation (Astrix, 2020).
Source: 2020 LIMS Market Research Survey Report
While the elimination of manual processes is the top benefit of using LIMS as cited by 61% of laboratories, 48% identified disconnected systems as a major challenge to software adoption. Moreover, some laboratories cited that current LIMS used in laboratories still need to be integrated with essential features such as dashboard or visualization apps and ELN.
Why LIMS is important?
While the sample volume in the clinical laboratory sector is expected to decline as the COVID-19 pandemic slows down, the continuous research in pharmaceutical, biorepositories, genomics, and molecular diagnostics as initiated by the pandemic will require more robust laboratory management systems.
As sample volumes climb, there is a need for efficiency in laboratories. In addition, more laboratories are handling sensitive samples, which increases the need for laboratory management systems offering functions that improve the safety of laboratory work.
Choosing the right LIMS for your organization is crucial. Most errors in the laboratory testing process and laboratory information systems stem from the failure to fulfill user requirements. In a 2022 study that evaluated errors in laboratories, it was found that “errors in laboratory information systems and the laboratory testing process were attributed to failure to fulfill user requirements, poor cooperation between the information technology unit and laboratory, inconsistency of software design in system integration, errors during inter-system data transmission, and lack of motivation in system use” (Arifin, A., & Mohd-Yusof, 2022).
Moreover, the study identified that the error factors are related to system development elements, namely, latent failures that considerably affected information quality and system use. Errors in system development were also attributed to poor service quality.
Source: 2020 LIMS Market Research Survey Report
Choosing the Right LIMS for your Team
For every laboratory looking to implement a LIMS software, it is crucial to choose the LIMS that best fits user requirements. While sample management and robust reporting capabilities are the top considerations in implementing LIMS, the overall research data management capability is a major factor for laboratories to effectively conduct work processes.
LIMS software help manage data and information of industrial and medical laboratories. Among the current challenges faced by laboratories today are related to system integration and inconsistency in software design. These challenges, however, can be resolved by carefully studying user requirements against LIMS software features and functionalities.
When choosing a life science technology, 92.9% of laboratory managers cite reliability as the most important factor that they look for, followed by accuracy at 92.81% and durability at 77.26% (Fraser, 2021). As high throughput applications continue to expand, there is a need to implement data management systems that provide support to the specific needs of laboratories.
Choosing the right LIMS for your laboratory requires that you study the various options available on the market today. Just as each laboratory work process is unique, every LIMS solution offers different functionalities designed for unique research environments. To be able to choose the right LIMS for your team, these are the basic guidelines that you can follow:
- Plot your current workflows and identify the specific inefficiencies that you want to solve.
- Identify the type of laboratory you are running and your industry type.
- Consult with key personnel to determine your budget for LIMS.
- Consider software scalability, configuration flexibility, and customization features.
The objective of having a LIMS is to increase efficiency and manage information effectively. Here is a list of the various types of LIMS software available today. Carefully consider the capabilities of each system and determine which will best help you promote a more efficient lab management process.
Source: 2020 LIMS Market Research Survey Report
Best LIMS Software for 2023
1. GenoFAB: Quality Results Through Better Data Management
GenoFAB is a cloud-based data-driven laboratory management system that manages information for laboratories in biotechnology and life sciences by integrating LIMS and electronic lab notebooks (ELN). It has an integrated label printing solution that provides barcoding for organized data management. For the tracking and management of samples, GenoFAB has a completely web-based label printing solution. GenoFAB organizes data to maximize reproducibility for efficient data analysis. You can move your existing data to a GenoFAB account, connect your data for greater insights and maximum traceability, or create complex workflows with multiple branches corresponding to different processes.
- LIMS. Standardize your operations by simplifying your data collection processes. Through standardization, you can also improve the reproducibility of your processes.
- ELN. Organize your notes around projects and objectives, GenoFAB ELN offers rich-text editing using a familiar UI and allows you to include hyperlinks to LIMS data and version protocols.
- Barcoding system. You can print laboratory labels from mobile devices, making the organization and tracking of samples easier. These include cryogenic labels, autoclavable labels, or labels resistant to solvents and other chemicals.
- Life Sciences
2. LabVantage SaaS: Subscription-Based LIMS
LabVantage SaaS is a laboratory informatics suite that integrates LIMS, ELN, laboratory execution system (LES), and scientific data management system (SDMS) in one platform. LabVantage tracks and manages samples using lab equipment (LE), which provides electronic worksheets, thus eliminating unnecessary paper records. This also captures all data related to testing and enforces the stepwise execution of lab tests. Using SDMS, LabVantage SaaS enables the easy, secure capture of all instrument-related data files and results. It simplifies your data management, reduces data bottlenecks, and ensures data integrity with its robust and flexible storage options.
- Configuration Management and Transfer. This feature ensures that when you make changes to your master data and LIMS configuration, it can manage and controls changes. It also allows you to work with the administration teams for the execution and documentation of changes with a corresponding audit trail.
- LabVantage Portal. For external clients, this Portal extends secure and appropriate self-service access. It also automates all requests for tests and other services while protecting valuable data in your LIMS database.
- LabVantage Analytics. Explore, analyze, and visualize lab and enterprise data using the analytics tool of LabVantage. This gives you full control of your data and empowers you to make better-informed decisions.
- Food and Beverage
- Forensic Navigator
- Oil and Gas
- Pharma and Biotech
- Public Health Labs
- Medical Labs
3. Core LIMS: Effectively Manages Data Across Workflows
Core LIMS is a lab software solution designed by Thermo Fisher Scientific that takes care of sample management and tracking, instrument management, and SOP compliance. It can connect with ERP and MES, including laboratory systems. Core LIMS helps you define, capture, and manage your R&D data while at the same time allowing your team to be flexible in designing work processes. It also integrates with instruments and software from your preferred vendors and can be deployed in the cloud or on-premise.
- ThermoFisher Platform for Science. For research and development, process development and manufacturing, and bioanalytical management of R&D lab data and workflows. Evolves with new advances in science and technology covering new instruments, data types, techniques, and tools.
- Thermo Scientific SampleManager. A LIMS, SDMS, and LES software that offers a comprehensive solution for lab, data, and process management. This facilitates compliance with 21CFR Part 11, GMP, and ISO 17025. Labs adhering to ALCOA+ guidelines can rely on the LIMS security, electronic signature, and complete audit trail to enable compliance.
- Thermo Scientific Watson LIMS. For the management of bioanalytical studies, which is designed with a deep understanding of bioanalytical workflow and regulations. Watson LIMS enables efficient and high-quality bioanalytical testing.
- Academic Research
- Chemical and Petrochemical
- Clinical Testing and Molecular Diagnostics
- Contract Laboratories
- Food and Beverage
- Metals and Mining
- Oil and Gas
- Pharma and Biopharma
4. STARLIMS: Powerful Data Management
STARLIMS is a cloud-based software for laboratory management that offers a complete and comprehensive solution for laboratories to improve quality and safety. It is an integrated platform that includes ELN, SDMS, mobile capabilities, and advanced analytics that provides meaningful and intelligent information. It has an Integrated Solution that provides a powerful combination of LIMS, ELN, and SDMS that streamlines data collection and document management.
- SDMS. A key component of the STARLIMS Integrated Solution, SDMS is built on the same advanced technology of the STARLIMS platform. You can manage a variety of documents using the SDMS, and even organizes SOPs and certificates of analysis.
- ELN. The STARLINK ELN maximizes laboratory efficiency and facilitates the smooth execution of test workflows. It ensures compliance with its on-screen method execution instructions, which are displayed alongside the ELN’s data entry screen.
- Unified Solution. A powerful platform that supports your entire product lifecycle for the documentation and management of laboratory information. It is a combination of LIMS, ELN, SDMS, advanced analytics, and mobile.
- Pharmaceutical and Biotech
- General Manufacturing
- Contract Services
- Molecular Testing
- Clinical Research
- Environmental Sciences
- Food and Beverage
- Chemical, Petrochemical, and Refining
- Public Health
5. Labware LIMS: Global Leader for LIMS and ELN
Labware LIMS is a fully-validated lab management software solution with pre-configured best-practice workflows. This makes the platform capable of rapid deployment. The Labware LIMS and Labware SaaS LIMS offer the same rich features. Labware’s comprehensive auditing, system controls, and review functionality meet the requirements of MHRA, FDA, and WHO in GLP and GMP laboratories. It also offers a configurable solution while at the same time providing a compliant and validated environment. Labware LIMS can be deployed in the cloud or on-premise.
- ELN. The electronic laboratory notebook facilitates the automation of experiments and procedure control. For both research and quality control settings, ELN is the ideal laboratory document management solution for the guided execution of standardized testing methods (STMs).
- Portable Disease Surveillance Lab. Providing rapid turnaround times for testing, the portable disease surveillance lab is designed to address infectious disease outbreaks. It integrates with LIMS on which data can be directly tracked, and is also capable of multi-target testing.
- Data Analytics and AI. Labware customers are offered various options and approaches for the management of high volume and highly complex data. By leveraging more advanced Data Science techniques, AI, and machine learning, Labware gives customers a competitive edge.
- Biobanking and Clinical
- Cannabis and Hemp Testing
- Compounding pharmacies
- Contract services
- Food and Beverage
- Mining and Metals
- Oil and Gas
- Process and Chemical
6. Bika LIMS: Open-Source LIMS
Bika LIMS is an open-source LIMS that provides powerful and flexible web-based LIMS with roles and workflows specifically designed for laboratories. It is a web-based LIMS that helps laboratories manage as well as publish documents, and allows for the creation of roles and workflows using Plone technology. Bilka offers full web content management integration and provides real-time sample and analysis tracking and results. It has a powerful live search engine and integrated QC controls and calibrations.
- Plone security. This powerful role-based security protocol is an enterprise-level content management system. It has LDAP-friendly encryption, which is known to support two methods to encrypt communications using SSL.TLS.
- Quality control. Bika LIMS has established procedures for validating the integrity of methods and processes, including instrument management. These also include reference analyses and control charts.
- Specialized LIMS. For different laboratory disciplines, Bika LIMS offers customized workflows that are configured for environmental management, labs handling regulated materials, and laboratories for mining and exploration, among others.
- Environmental Management
- Mining and Exploration
- Food and Beverage
7. CGM LABDAQ: Leading Lab Management Software
CGM LABDAQ is a web-based laboratory information system that minimizes time spent on administrative tasks by employing advanced functionalities, including inventory management, data mining, and specimen storage. As a result, a more efficient laboratory is created, which automates multi-well plate workflows. It is a scalable LIS that grows with you and easily accommodates more users. The platform facilitates analyzing, testing, and reporting within a seamless workflow.
- LABNEXUS. This is the web portal that equips laboratories with connectivity as they perform outreach testing. It improves the provider-laboratory workflow and simplifies the information exchange process. Even without EMR connectivity, CGM LABNEXUS enables providers to place orders and receive results.
- Ref Lab Reconciler. This bi-directional interface to national and regional reference laboratories eliminates cases of mismatched patient data. It consolidates orders and results and ensures that patient data is based on data from the reference lab.
- LAB IQ for CGM LABDAQ. An interactive and user-friendly dashboard that provides business insights. By using advanced analytics, LAB IQ provides laboratory performance metrics, including test volumes, ordering patterns, and turnaround times.
- Veterinary LIMS
- Forensic LIMS
- Toxicology LIMS
- Physician Office LIMS
8. CloudLIMS: Purpose-Built SaaS LIMS
CloudLIMS is a SaaS solution for the management of laboratories. It integrates with analytical instruments that eliminate the need for manual entry of test results. CloudLIMS provides unlimited reporting templates, which can be customized to meet diverse reporting requirements. Automatic backup is provided on multiple servers. CloudLIMS helps you migrate complex legacy data from your current system without compromising data quality and provides automatic product upgrades.
- CloudLIMS Standard. Is an advanced sample management software that is designed specifically for laboratories with multiple users and complex processes. It simplifies laboratory operations by efficiently managing and tracking samples, tests, test results, and shipments.
- CloudLIMS Enterprise. This SaaS solution for enterprise LIMS automates the workflows of laboratories to promote efficiency. In addition to CloudLIMS standard edition features, the enterprise version includes Study, Service & Billing, Lab Inventory software features, and a client portal.
9. Lockbox LIMS: Flexible and User-Friendly LIMS
Lockbox LIMS is a laboratory management solution that covers sample tracking, protocol execution, inventory management, and storage management. From Thirdwave Analytics, Lockbox is a fully customizable LIMS that is 100% cloud-based. It is a modular product that allows you to purchase only the functionalities that your laboratory requires. The foundational modules include studies, sample tracker, and freezer management. For every lab environment—small, large, just starting, or well-established—Lockbox can provide systems that meet the needs of clients.
- Protocol execution. Designed to support a wide range of procedures, from the most basic to the most complex, Lockbox can configure steps, and results, analyze thresholds, and initiate automation via protocol completion.
- Freezer management. Lockbox has a dynamic freezer inventory configuration with a fully configurable freezer and location hierarchy. This enables efficient box management and location history. It also allows you to define your laboratory’s freezer storage framework.
- Customer Portal. This allows customers to submit samples and track the status of samples submitted through the Lockbox LIMS Portal. It gives customers access to the Lockbox LIMS.
- Core Labs
- Manufacturing QC
- Academic Research Labs
10. ApolloLIMS: Excellence Through Accuracy and Efficiency
ApolloLIMS is a cloud-based enterprise software solution that has a robust set of modules to satisfy workflow demands. It optimizes workflow, ensures compliance, and accelerates growth. It provides end-to-end lab management by equipping laboratories with the right tools to run entire operations from a single, centralized platform. Through seamless instrument integration, ApolloLIMS helps you achieve the accuracy and efficiency you need. It also offers compliant solutions that meet regulatory standards.
- Outreach Portal. The web-based portal of ApolloLIMS connects your lab with remote sites and provider offices. Through this HIPAA-compliant portal, you can place orders and print specimen labels. You can also allow providers to access this portal anytime.
- Apollo Document Imaging. This feature allows you to scan any type of document and associate it with a specimen or customer account. For high volume documentation, there is also the batch scanning option, which employs intelligent processing to extract patient results and keywords.
- Apollo QA Module. With this module, you can set up rules for quality measures, tests, specific accounts, or result values for the automation of end-to-end processes. It also records incidents and assigns them accordingly, monitors progress, and ensures that resolutions are properly documented.
- Public Health
- Water and Environmental
- Food and Beverage
11. FreeLIMS: The Free Cloud-Based LIMS
FreeLIMS is a free cloud-based software for managing laboratory data. This lab management software encompasses sample management, patient management, storage management, test management, and data confidentiality management. It has a built-in audit log functionality that documents all activities in the system. For every laboratory in any industry, FreeLIMS can help streamline operations by automating workflows. And since it is a cloud-based LIMS, it is capable of managing large amounts of data. It is secure, reliable, scalable, and ensures compliance with industry regulations.
- Data confidentiality management. The user management module of FreeLIMS monitors access to various lab activities by controlling role-based access privileges. Sensitive information in the database is masked based on access rights assigned to prevent unauthorized access.
- Storage management. The storage module employs a customizable and hierarchical storage pattern. A visualization tool is used for storage inventory to exactly locate samples in freezer units. For security, the admin can assign rights to different user groups for access to freezers in the lab.
- Industry-specific configuration. FreeLIMS offer custom solutions that are pre-loaded and configured for analytical testing in research laboratories, diagnostics, and biobanks. This ensures that each laboratory will be able to comply with the specific regulations of their industry.
- Food and Beverage
12. LabHQ LIMS: Manage Quality Control Easily and Efficiently
LabHQ LIMS is a one of the best laboratory software for the management of quality control (QC) data. It allows you to store, process, report, and analyze your QC data in an electronic environment. The quick-install application also offers web browser access. It has a custom reporting function where you can easily set up and manage user accounts, including products, specifications, and test methods. LabHQ LIMS provides secure hosting while automating processes. The quality assurance functionality reduces the risk of transcription errors. At the same time, it allows you to have complete control of your data.
- Stock management. From reagents to consumables, you can easily track stocks. This facilitates regulatory compliance as it captures each batch as used in the test audit trail.
- Equipment maintenance. This module monitors the status of equipment and automatically schedules calibration. For each piece of equipment used in a specific test, details, and other important information are properly documented.
- Stability study management. This module helps you reduce the amount of time spent doing administrative work. It works in such a way that when the user retrieves samples from storage, it automatically submits the samples, and begins the testing lifecycle.
- Chemical and Pharmaceutical
- Environmental – Water Resources
- Food and Beverage
- Monitoring and Testing
- Waste and Wastewater
13. Agilent SLIMS: Full Content and Context Laboratory Management
Agilent SLIMS is a combination of LIMS and ELN in a single platform that you can run either on-premise or cloud-hosted. This comprehensive laboratory workflow management software helps you increase your productivity through its highly configurable and flexible architecture. Agilent SLIMS digitally tracks samples and retains lineages while the ELN organizes all tests and experiments. You can simultaneously access different parts of the system through the dashboard or use shortcuts to simplify repetitive tasks.
- Workflow management. This module can visualize your workflows for easier laboratory work process management.
- Multi-domain application. For various fields such as analytical, NGS, research, and biobanks, Agilent SLIMS improves reproducibility and compliance.
- SLIMS Store. This offers a collection of pre-configured packages that can quickly get your team up and running. After deployment, you can customize the packages based on your unique workflows.
- Analytical Labs
- Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Cancer Research
- Cannabis and Hemp Testing
- Cell Analysis
- COVID-19 and infectious diseases
- Energy and Chemicals
- Food and Beverage Testing
14. Matrix Gemini LIMS: Built to Accommodate Change
Matrix Gemini LIMS is a scalable software built for any laboratory in any industry. It offers a lower cost of ownership and even the implementation is cost-effective. Built to accommodate change, Matrix Gemini LIMS delivers a similar experience in both desktop and web browser interfaces. It has configurable workflows and third-party access provisions. The system upholds QA and QC processes while authorities are provided access to verify tests and standards, including ISO17025, GMP, GLP, and FDA 21CFR Part 11. Matrix Gemini LIMS can be deployed securely on a local server, a remote site, or in the cloud.
- Resources Hub. The company behind Matrix Gemini LIMS, Autoscribe Informatics, provides resources for users such as training, seminars, webinars, case studies, events, and exhibitions to assist customers in creating LIMS workflows that work for their unique team requirements.
- Matrix LIMS configuration tools. These tools facilitate fast implementation and superior flexibility. As a result, an interface that is familiar and comfortable for each user is created. This also contributes to a reduced cost of ownership.
- Configurable workplace. Matrix LIMS offers industry-specific solutions and is easy to configure through the point and click method. It is easy to deploy, easy to learn, and easy to update, and does not require the user to have coding skills.
- Contract Labs
- Environmental and Water
- Food and beverage
- Materials and Mining
- Medical and Healthcare
- Medical Devices
- Nuclear and Radiochemical
15. Sapio Research LIMS: Complete Lab Management Solution
Sapio Research LIMS is a versatile laboratory software that integrates LIMS, ELN, and scientific data management. It offers out-of-the-box integrations, plus, the system can load most instrument files without coding. This web-based LIMS software is also available as SaaS, ensuring ease of deployment. The built-in charting feature enables users to pull any search result and visualize it using the lab management system. This helps track the overall performance of your laboratory systems. Using key metrics, you can continually improve your operations by studying turnaround time and other metrics.
- Sapio Seamless ELN. Unlike other ELNs, this ELN is a single solution that supports ideation, experiment tracking, automated instrument data capture, lab management, search, visualization, and analysis. It can create interactive visualizations and enables data analysis.
- Sapio Stability LIMS. This system defines and tracks stability study details from inception to completion. Applicable for a variety of industries, this covers the creation of manufacturing details, sample batch or lot tracking, scheduled pulls, and other related activities.
- Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
16. LabSoft LIMS: Making Data Usable
LabSoft LIMS is a highly configurable laboratory management software that is complete with features and tools that facilitate an effective and collaborative system. The integrated solution offered by LabSoft LIMS maximizes the utility of all your laboratory data to produce high-quality results and at the same time reduce operating costs. In addition to complying with ISO and GLP requirements, LabSoft LIMS provides powerful tools for reporting, plotting, and viewing data through on-premise deployment. The QC, in-process, lot/batch, tanks, finishing samples, and other processes can be easily configured based on the unique processes by which they are run and analyzed.
- Report Studio. This tool generates reports and creates graphs for your reporting and analysis requirements. It is an integrated module that does not require third-party tools with extensive configuration options.
- Control Charts. This auto analyzing and graphing tool checks for runs and trends. It can be set to react and perform specific actions once specific control events occur. These actions include sending email messages and notifications to a user or user groups.
- Food & Beverage
17. Nova-LIMS: Out-of-the-Box LIMS Solution
Nova-LIMS is a software solution for the end-to-end management of laboratory processes that provides harmonization and data centralization. It empowers pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations by reducing product time to market through efficient and compliant workflows. The interface between LIMS and Quality Management Systems adds value to organizations using Nova-LIMS. Compatible with Oracle and SQL databases, Nova-LIMS can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud.
- Contamination Control. This suite as offered by Novatek is a powerful solution that minimizes the risk of contamination across the entire process of producing a pharmaceutical product. It includes tools for environmental monitoring, utility monitoring, and cleaning validation.
- Nova-QMS. This quality management system tool complies with GMP requirements, ISO standards, and industry best practices in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. It offers a comprehensive quality systems model that integrates aspects of quality, manufacturing, and risk management.
- Nova-CPM. This solution takes care of equipment qualification, calibration, and maintenance processes. Through state-of-the-art automation, Nova-CPM ensures global regulatory compliance and data integrity.
18. BaseSpace Clarity LIMS: Receipt-to-Result Sample Tracking
BaseSpace Clarity LIMS is an innovative cloud-based laboratory management software designed for next-generation sequencing and arrays. It enables laboratories to run samples quickly, track samples effortlessly, and uphold compliance efficiently. The Illumina pre-set protocols fast-track the adoption of new workflows with ready-to-use protocols. BaseSpace Clarity LIMS eliminates the need to code integration touchpoints from scratch by streamlining workflow development. It also ensures compliance with regulatory standards with built-in features for audit trails, esignatures, and escalations.
- LabLink. This interface provides a secure channel between collaborators for sample submission, status, and results delivery. The LabLink Interface enables clients to view and retrieve results securely and submit contextual sample information.
- CLIA compliant. Since laboratories operate within regulated environments, BaseSpace Clarity LIMS provides comprehensive solutions to secure or maintain certification and compliance. These include Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certifications and 21 CFR Part 11 regulations.
- NGS protocols. With more than 30 preset protocols for next-generation sequencing (NGS) applications, BaseSpace Clarity LIMS allows labs to install and chain preset protocols together to create workflows that best suit the needs of the laboratory. These protocols also help labs in performing complex tasks.
19. Orchard Harvest LIMS: Designed with Lab Expertise
Orchard Harvest LIMS is a cloud-based LIS that supports specialized lab environments by providing superior workflow management, integration, and data mining. It is the most comprehensive LIS in the healthcare industry that offers robust interfaces and rules-based decision-support technology. Through process automation, Orchard Harvest increases the efficiency of laboratories and takes care of regulatory compliance issues. Orchard Harvest enables laboratories to organize and track laboratory samples and specimens through its audit trail features. It has a sophisticated system for quality control and offers multiple reports and delivery options.
- Remote Workstation. This tool provides convenient access to laboratorians from remote locations and sites and enables them to set up and monitor tests performed in remote locations. The enhanced accessibility facilitates collaboration among remote teams.
- POCT Management. This module takes point-of-care testing (POCT) management to another level. From your central lab, it offers greater control of your POCT activities, including the tracking of devices and personnel certifications.
- Webstation. This solution provides web access to users within a single business entity. The general simplicity of this tool focuses on affordability and is designed to enable labs to offer providers access via the Internet in placing orders and in retrieving patient results.
20. Nautilus LIMS: For Dynamic Discovery and R&D Environments
Nautilus LIMS is a laboratory management software that combines the sample-centric functionality of a LIMS and the patient-centric functionality of a traditional LIS. It is a cloud-hosted solution and is specifically designed for drug discovery, genomics proteomics, and high throughput screening. Developed in collaboration with fast-paced R&D environments, it offers an easy-to-configure system. It is also highly flexible, enabling users to increase operational efficiency, data reliability, and throughput. At the same time, Nautilus LIMS simplifies laboratory administration and sample tracking while ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Clinical Portal. This tool for the submission of biospecimens and test requests provides a secure web-based interface. Custom search tools for provider, practice, and patient searches are included, including TRF submission printing, data entry, and dynamically linked fields.
- Explorer Tool. This solution monitors real-time laboratory performance while at the same time managing the organization of workloads. Dashboards can be customized to show key indicators, design intuitive folders, perform full-text searches, and do multi-level grouping and sorting.
- Workflow Engine. This patented tool with an intuitive graphical interface is designed to emulate laboratory processes. It fast tracks the mapping of lab protocols and assays without requiring custom programming.
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Clinical testing
- R&D and Manufacturing Labs
Find the Best LIMS Software for Your Team
After exploring the unique features and capabilities of the best LIMS software included in this guide, you are now equipped to make a decision. Some LIMS like Apollo and Matrix Gemini cater to various industries that conduct intensive research, while others are designed specifically for single industries, such as Orchard Harvest LIMS for Healthcare, and BaseSpace Clarity LIMS for Genomics.
As previously mentioned, carefully identify your unique workflows against the capabilities of each software. Take into account the characteristics of your team, how you design research, your industry, and your entire operating environment. Also, consider the capabilities and skills of your staff as this will also impact overall implementation. Finally, consider the cost of implementing your chosen lab management software.
Modern laboratories generate enormous amounts of data, which underscores the importance of having a central system that can facilitate the management of information and the organization of processes. LIMS software provides consistency and fulfills specific user requirements. Beyond data management, it can be used to design and automate workflows, and execute and share protocols. Choosing the best LIMS software need not be complicated once you have identified your requirements.
- Arifin, A., and Mohd-Yusof, M. (2022), Error evaluation in the laboratory testing process and laboratory information systems. Journal of Medical Biochemistry, 41(1), pp.21–31. https://doi.org/10.5937/jomb0-31382
- Astrix Technology Group (2021), 2020 LIMS Market Research Survey Report, https://astrixinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Astrix-2020-LIMS-Market-Research-Report.pdf
- Fraser, S, (2022), Lab Manager’s 2021 Purchasing Trends Survey, https://www.labmanager.com/surveys/-em-lab-manager-em-s-2021-purchasing-trends-survey-26394